Sunday, October 3, 2010

Matthew Rodriguez's Blog Post 6



The Networked Student

The first video that Mr. Miller talked about dealt with how the world today has changed. He described two types of change, a incremental and fundamental change. He also stressed that we, as teachers, must be open to the idea of sharing any and all information that we have. He emphasized the importance the Internet has made in the teaching profession and he seems to like how easily you can attain information. Hopefully, his ideas will continue to progress and books of the future will be a big hit in the future.

A 7th Grader's Personal Learning Environment

This was a pretty cool video. The video showed how easy it is for students to find and do school work via the web. She went into detail describing how she has her PLE set up and showed us various things she could do while using it. I think this is a pretty, sweet, little video and when I become a teacher, I intend to set up my classwork online like this that way the kids won't have to write as much and it'll also save some paper. Going green as they would call it.

The Machine is Changing Us



During this video I noticed the quote by Henry Canby that read, "What we are encountering is a panicky, an almost hysterical, attempt to escape from the deadly anonymity of modern life... and the prime cause is not vanity... but the craving of people who feel their personality sinking lower and lower into the whirl of indistinguishable atoms to be lost in a mass civilization."  He was talking about the loneliness you feel in a city and I can relate to that. I just recently moved to Mobile from a small town 1 hour North of here called Jackson, AL, and sometimes I do feel a little lonely and do have that 1 in a million every once in awhile so I can relate to the video and Mr. Canby in that sense. Toward the end of the video they started talking about the free hugs guy and started playing the song "All the Same" by the Sick Puppies and this is just a side note, I met that band at the place where I work here in Mobile and they gave me backstage passes to their Bayfest performance, it was EPIC! But, back to the video, I've actually seen the free hugs video before on the Internet and thought it was amazing but haven't seen it in a while so it made me pretty happy to see it again. If I could write one thing on my hand I would write simply, "ONE LOVE," meaning love everybody the same no matter what race or religion they are.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Mathew,
    My name is Brittany and I am in the same EDM 310 class as you. Out of all the assignments that we had to view for blog post 6, I liked the networked student the best. It gives people an idea of what students go through in order to succeed in school today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This young student is impressive. I am glad you plan to use these techniques in your classroom. We are all a part of the evolutionary process of education. Today we have new tools and so we use them to provide students the best education we can. Tomorrow the tools will be new again and we want you to be ready to go with the flow and have the right attitude to continue learning and keep your students on the cutting edge of what will give them the best opportunities to succeed. SS

    ReplyDelete